Canada’s oldest retailer, The Hudson’s Bay Company, underwent a major modernization and expansion early in the 20th century. This included construction of six new stores in western Canada. The first concrete and steel structure was built in Calgary, replacing the small wood-frame shop that had been outgrown in Calgary’s rapid expansion as a railhead and jumping-off point for prospectors headed north. The new structure became the city’s tallest building with six storeys, and was undoubtedly an impressive place to shop, eat and play. The store was expanded in 1929 and again in 1955, but still shines with its turn-of-the-century charm.